Wednesday, August 27, 2008

(August 25, 2008)

Dear Family and Friends, (25 August 2008)
I’ve recently found and applied the tracting secret to my mission. At the MTC they talked about it a little, but only recently have I enjoyed the blessings of using it. As I have gone tracting I usually just tell people who we are and what we are doing, but the tracting secret is to talk to the people like you love them, like you are interested in their lives. The secret is to start off your talk with people at the door with something that has to do with them whether it is their garden, their religion, or their day or what have you. We don’t necessarily get into more doors, but the people do seem to be more pleasant as you show interest in them.Biking here in Alberton is getting a little easier. I’m starting to get in shape again. Another thing I’ve tried doing more is talking to people that pass us by, or who we pass. Seeing as we do a lot of tracting I’ve decided that I might as well try and teach people on the streets that we pass. As I have done this it has helped me be less reserved. It also is a lot more effective and interesting than knocking on people’s doors. We met one guy while doing this. His name is Linda. He was outside the Methodist church watching the gate until it was time to close it. We decided to talk to him, and share some of the Restoration. He ended up desiring to read the Book of Mormon. We gave him one and got his details. He said he would be interested in having us over to teach him more.Alberton is a branch, it’s nice though because Sunday is 3 hours instead of only 2, like in Secunda. During this past week Elder Burnett and I went to an orphanage to teach some of the kids there about God. It was quite fun. There was about ten guys there in their teenage years. It was fun to get them involved in the lesson and ask them questions. They seemed to be excited. I also gave them a Book of Mormon. I asked them “who should keep track of this?” They all raised their hands, and said me. I ended up giving it to one of them and told him to share it with the rest, they said they would read it.The other Elders in our flat, Elder Owen, and Elder Roper do service at a Meals-on-Wheels in their area. They invited us to go to service with them. It was nice because we got fed lunch, and the people gave us a whole bunch of free food. Experience of a mission can never be replaced. I love it here, doing the Work amongst this people.
Elder Lane

No comments: