Monday, September 29, 2008

(29 September 2008)

Dear Family and Friends, (29 September 2008)

Some guys tried to scam us this week. A guy (guy 1) told us that his boss needed our help with some mini Bibles, and then he also grabbed some “random” guy (guy 2) off the street to help (this random guy was part of the scam though). We told him sure we can help. We then started to walk to his “bosses” house. Just before we got to the house he told us he (guy 1) needed to call the boss first before we went in, and he was asking us to come close. That’s where we really started questioning him. Once we started doing this, and pressing forward to the boss’s house without calling first then he started to back off. Guy 2 was trying to ease things and say what do you guys want, we can call the boss first and you can talk to him. We kept bugging to SEE the boss tough. Guy 1 then said if you guys can’t do it then that’s fine you can go. We then said alright fine and we walked off. Guy 2 then ironically said he couldn’t do the job either. We then saw the two guys walk off together. After they were out of sight I knocked on the “boss’s” gate. Nobody answered. I think they wanted to steal our phone or something. Luckily this was the closest I’ve been to crime here in South Africa.
Now for some good experiences, I found out that my trainer, Elder Yarrington was transferred to our old Zone, Benoni, as Zone Leader. I thought that was pretty cool. We taught the Pretorius family this week. I wasn’t so sure about the father, Andres, but the mother, Karin, I had high hopes for. This week we shared the Restoration DVD, and the Book of Mormon. As we watched the DVD I prayed that I would be able to transition smoothly into my testimony and to bear it powerfully. Andres gladly accepted the Book of Mormon, and this time they were more willing to have us come back, they agreed to next week at the same time.
On Sunday Elder Burnett and I were privileged to go to a missionary fireside in another Zone. There we were able to get some ideas for our fireside we want to do here in Alberton. President Bricknell spoke on member missionary work. He is a great guy, I remember him speaking to us in the MTC. A major thing I got from the fireside is that us as members don’t do missionary work as much as we should because of fear. President Bricknell said we shouldn’t be afraid; the Lord will be with us every time that we share His Gospel. I would like to encourage all Family and Friends to strengthen their efforts in missionary work. When missionary work improves in a ward or branch every other aspect will improve.
With my experience in difficult areas I’m gaining a stronger faith in Christ. I know it is only through Him that people will be converted to the Gospel. I am relying more in Heavenly Father through prayer to convert these people that we teach. I know I must rely on God. This is His work, and I have the privilege to teach people truth and then witness the Holy Ghost work in them, and touch their hearts.

Elder Lane

No comments: